Prostate enlargement is a condition associated with the prostate gland of men. Under this condition, the number of cells in the stroma and epithelia increase uncontrollably which in turn leads to enlargement or increase in the size of the prostate gland. This condition is also referred to as BPH or BEP which means Benign Prostate hyperplasia and benign enlargement of the prostate respectively.
Due to increase in the size of the prostate, there is formation of distinctively large sized nodules in the periurethral area of the prostate. This condition ultimately gives rise to numerous problems relevant to the urinary system such as obstruction in the urethral canal. Even there is partial or complete blockage of the urinary tract. There is frequent and urgent need to urinate but the sufferer is not able to completely evacuate bladder due to blockage of the urinary tract.
Even there is experience of pain during urination as well as at the time of sexual activity. The condition of prostate enlargement is mostly found in people of 70 years of age or more than that. The condition of prostate enlargement or BPH is characterized by various signs and symptoms that can be distinctly noticed in the sufferer.
What causes Prostate Enlargement?
The condition of prostate enlargement may be triggered due to multiple factors such as obesity, lack of physical activity or deskbound lifestyle, excessive smoking, and excessive intake of alcohol, advancement in age, hereditary factors and sexual disorders including erectile dysfunction.
Chief indicators of Prostate enlargement
Men suffering from prostate enlargement experience multiple signs and symptoms as given below.
- There is frequent and emergent need to urinate due to excessive pressure on the urinary bladder.
- Men also complain of dribbling or intermittent urination due to occurrence of prostate enlargement.
- Sometimes complete absence of urine flow may also be noticed in case of prostate enlargement. On the other hand, some people may complain of little urine during urination.
- In some cases, emission or discharge of urine even after the urination is over may also be noticed due to occurrence of prostate enlargement in the body.
- There is considerable reduction in the urine output when a man suffers from prostate enlargement.
- Additionally, some men may also suffer from persuasive urination when suffering from enlargement in the prostate gland.
- Due to prostate enlargement, there is adverse effect on the capacity of the urination. As a result, the strength of urine flow decreases considerably.
- At the same time, there is feeling that the urinary bladder is full even after discharge or passage of urine from the urinary bladder.
- People suffering from prostate enlargement may also suffer from heavy breathing, constant sighing and pain in the urinary parts or organs due to incomplete emptying of the bladder.
- People suffering from prostate enlargement also suffer from problems in sleeping due to frequent urge to urinate.
- In addition to this, the concerned person also suffers from premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction and experience of pain and inflammation during intercourse.
Since prostate enlargement is a serious health issue therefore it is quite important to detect and diagnose the same well-in-time and get the same treated immediately.