High blood pressure is a condition which is commonly found in people in advancing years of their age. It is also a disorder relevant to the heart and the blood. Under this condition, the pressure of blood rises in the arteries and goes beyond normal permissible limits. It is due to high cholesterol level in the blood. It is to be noted that cholesterol is also an important component of the blood which is quite essential for the normal functions of the blood. Due to increase in this component of the blood, it starts depositing in the arteries and in turn results in narrowing and hardening of the same. As a result, heart has to make more efforts and exert more pressure so as to make the blood pass through the arteries for its supply to all the body parts. And this condition is then referred to as high blood pressure. Excessively high blood pressure may even lead to heart attack in some cases.
What are the chief reasons for occurrence of high blood pressure?
High blood pressure is mainly caused due to advancing age in most of the people. Additionally, some other factors may also result in this condition as given below.
- Lack of physical activity which results in high cholesterol level in the body
- Excessive smoking that results in constriction of the arteries of the heart and blood vessels
- Too much intake of alcohol
- Excessive weight or obesity
- Negative mental states such as stress, tension, depression and anxiety
- Genetic factors
- High level of cholesterol in the body
- Too much intake or use of salt in the diet
- Lack of proper rest and sleep
- Certain health problems including thyroid diseases, kidney problems, adrenal insufficiency
Chief signs and symptoms of high blood pressure
High blood pressure is mainly characterized by certain signs and symptoms as given below.
- Irritable behavior
- Feeling of nausea and vomiting
- Redness of the eyes
- Bleeding from nose in some cases
- Severe headache
- Heaviness of the head and dizziness
- Pain in the chest
- Tightness of the chest
- Pain in the eyes
- Numbness or loss of sensation of the extremities
- Coldness of the feet
- Cold sweat on the forehead and the entire body
Important instructions for high blood pressure patients
People suffering from high blood pressure may keep it under control by paying attention to some important points relevant to their diet and lifestyle. Apart from this, some habits should also be given up so as to keep high blood pressure under control. Have a look.
- People suffering from high blood pressure should reduce intake of salt in their diet.
- You must also avoid fried and highly fatty foods.
- Drink plenty of water and other liquids so as to get rid of excessive fat content from the body.
- Give up smoking and alcohol as these have adverse effect on the health of the heart.
- Give up inactive lifestyle and go for exercises on regular basis.