Esophageal Hiatus Hernia is basically a condition related to the part of stomach which is called as hiatus. Since this condition is relevant to the stomach therefore it is also referred to as stomach hernia at times. Under this condition, the part of the stomach called as hiatus protrudes through the opening of the diaphragm into the chest area. People who are born with larger or weaker diaphragms are more prone to suffer from this health condition. Apart from this, it may also be caused due to some other factors that may result in weakening of the diaphragm. This in turn results in occurrence of hernia. Mostly surgery is performed to get rid of this condition and bring back the stomach or entire digestive system to its normal track and functions.
Types of Esophageal Hiatus Hernia
Esophageal Hiatus Hernia may be classified into two types including sliding esophageal hiatal hernias and paraesophageal hiatal hernias. It is worth noting that the sliding Esophageal Hiatus Hernia is able to move back and forth via diaphragm whereas the other type i.e. paraesophageal hiatal hernia moves up and then gets stuck in the area located next to the esophagus.
Major risk factors for Esophageal Hiatus Hernia
Although exact causes for occurrence of Esophageal Hiatus Hernia are not known however it may be triggered due to multiple factors as given below.
- Excessive intake of spicy and sour foods
- Obesity or condition of over-weightiness
- Psychological factors including stress, tension, anger, fear and anxiety
- Abnormally or excessively high pressure in the abdomen or stomach that may be caused due to pregnancy, obesity, coughing, sneezing and constipation
- Injuries to the stomach or digestive system
- Lifting of heavy objects
- Bending and drooping
- Genetic factors
Signs and symptoms of Esophageal Hiatus Hernia
The condition known as Esophageal Hiatus Hernia is mostly accompanied by certain signs and symptoms as mentioned below.
- Acid reflux
- Nausea and vomiting
- Regular exercises
- Dull pain in the chest area
- Shortness of breath
- Heart palpitations
- State of indigestion
- Difficulty in swallowing
Home remedies for Esophageal Hiatus Hernia
Mostly surgery is recommended to treat the condition of Esophageal Hiatus Hernia. But this condition can be cured and prevented with the help of some effective and useful home remedies as given below.
- Consume evening primrose oil in the form of capsules or tablets so that essential fatty acids may be supplied to the body. It is worth noting that essential fatty acids are quite important from point of view of digestion which in turn reduces and cures the problem of inflammation in the esophagus and the stomach.
- You may also consume a glass of whole-leaf aloe Vera juice prior to each meal. It helps in complete digestion of the foods consumed by the body which in turn cures the problem of irritable bowel syndrome. Consequently, condition of Esophageal Hiatus Hernia is also treated and prevented.
- Carry out exercises on regular basis that aim at chest and abdomen. It helps in making the muscles of the entire digestive system strong so that the problem of hiatus hernia may be prevented automatically.