Ayurveda is a Sanskrit word which is made by uniting two words that is “ayur”, which means life and “veda”, which means knowledge or Science. So the term ayurveda means the science of life. Ayurveda is known as the oldest means of medicine whose roots were found 5000 years back in India. Ayurveda deals with the study of health sciences, longevity and day to day life. Ayurveda is a combination of research work and observation done over a very long period of time. It creates a balance between our body and surrounding. It just not include the study of our body type but also deals with our inners strength and soul. It includes practices like yoga, meditations, herbal medicines to provide stability and piece of mind in the body. Ayurveda aims toward a healthy and a disease free life.
Ayurveda is unique from all other medical sciences as :
1. According to ayurveda, every individual is uncomparable and different. So there is no particular diet, exercise or routine which suits to every individual.
2. Ayurveda believes in prevention, it tries to remove the problem from the roots, rather than just curing it.
3. Ayurveda mainly focuses on the lifestyle one carries, so the main focus of ayurveda is proper diet and routine for leaving a healthy life.
Ayurveda views an individual is made up of five basic elements that is air, water, earth, space and fire. Ayurveda works on three basic principles or three doshas,as :
1. Vatta Dosh : Space and air is combined to form vatta dosh. It basically deals with the motion of the body that includes, breathing, respiration and blood circulation.
2. Pitta Dosh : Fire and water combines together to form pitta dosh. It controls the metabolism of the body. The conversion of food into essential nutrients that are used by our body for its functioning and working.
3. Kapha Dosh : The predominant earth and water elements combine to form kapha dosh. It deals with the energy that controls the growth in the body. It also offers protection to the body.
Ayurveda believes in natural science and will see every individual as an unique personality and hence will suggest methods and routines according to that.